Re: ColdFire was Re: [buildd] Etch?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:

> > Converting to gentoo sounds more and more attractive... :(
>
> This would not be Debian anymore. By not proposing binaries, it would
> fail to show it is workable.

Yes. The problem with Gentoo is the user experience. It is fine if you
stick to the beaten path (e.g. architectures like x86 with a large user
base). The marginal ports are suitable for users that can deal with the
odd build failure. For slow 68k machines, a gentoo port would benefit from
chip-specific binary packages and distcc cross-compilers.

I think Roman may be right if he meant that gentoo is attractive for a
coldfire-only port. But as he points out, CF users alone may meet the
debian release criteria, in which case, the gentoo option becomes moot.

-f