Re: ColdFire was Re: [buildd] Etch?

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 02:46:02PM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
> If there was a m68k backend for GCC-LLVM [1], the m68k port could ship
> LLVM-IR that was assembled for the target at install time. Could be a
> viable long term solution. In the short term, I think we have to wear the
> performance hit of lowest-common-denominator hybrid binaries.

I doubt there is one.

> At least LLVM seems to be a more maintainable design than GCC.

I fail to see what a virtual machine can bring to the m68k port. Maybe
can you enlighten me?

BTW, I believed the idea was to emulate in kernel space the missing
opcodes from legacy m68k on CF to avoid whatever modifications on
the m68k legacy port or to limit them.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.   Aurélien GÉRÔME