Re: Debian on a Macintosh Quadra 700

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:20:27PM +0200, Alex Teclo wrote:

> > > There is no (working) 2.4 kernel for mac. If you want to try a 2.6
> > > kernel, you could grab one from unstable, 2.6.16-9 has just been
> > > installed today. If you can live with a slightly older one (no
> > > changes in m68k code), you can get one here:
> > >
> > > http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/
> > >

> > Thank you.
> >
> > I've extracted the binary kernel from the
> > http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/linux-image-2.6.16-1-mac_2.6.16-6_m68k.deb
> > file. I have booted it on my Quadra 700 with Penguin and
> > "root=/dev/sda7" as command line. Unfortunately, it fails with a
> > kernel panic. Here's the output:
> >
> > esp0: disconnected
> > sd 0:0:1:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
> > sd 0:0:1:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
> > sd 0:0:1:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
> [...]
>
> Since it appears everything goes awry after the SCSI controller
> disconnects, you may have success by disabling disconnects.
>
> That's done by using a special boot-time parameter:
>
> mac53c9x=-1,0

Certainly worth a try, but probably won't help the second panic. In the
second panic, there were no SCSI failures -- this is not unlike my
experiences on non-AV quadras and 2.6 kernels where a SCSI failure would
occasionally occur during device and partition probing. And if it didn't
fail at that point, there would be no SCSI trouble at all. This first
panic looks similar.

The second panic looks ADB related (the Q700 doesn't have CUDA ADB). I
would try booting with no ADB devices plugged in (or make sure the ADB
drivers don't load, if modular). Note that there is no serial console
support, which means that you won't be able to log in to shutdown except
remotely. So if you are going to try this, first enable journalling and
make sure ethernet and remote login works, or just boot with all
filesystems readonly.

-f