Re: Speedup q840av

On 11/5/06, Eugen Paiuc <eug_paiuc@bluewin.ch> wrote:
hi,

I like to do a speedup to a quadra840av, can I have any hint on ?

regards,

eugen paiuc

i think you have to ask yourself the question: why do i want an old
computer ? Since these days you can fix up something 10 times faster
for maybe $50, you really have to have a reason it seems.

for myself for one thing i did have other macs i fixed up before. and i
like old macs, partly just for the physical, exterior feel of working on them.

i could speed one up maybe some with several tricks, but not so much as
all that. i don't go for the outrageous (such as some people stick an imac
motherboard in an old color classic with the cd out the back).

all that aside, though for now, two reasons:

1) i learn more it would appear on the old slow machines. when i am
stuck i go back there and i get some insight.

2) often i am more creative. when i am working on a new project so i might
start on an old machine and gradually work up to the newer ones. but it
helps if the basic tools such as found in debian are there, if i need them.

the tricks come with experience i think and they also help me to get
more out of my newer machines. for instance i use apt-get and dpkg to
install things much more now because i had to use them on the old machines
or wait wait wait with aptitude and even deselect.

in a general sense the best speed up is i hope some forms of distributed
computing and as well having purposes for each machine and not weighing
them down too heavily too much. that is the distributing happens with myself
as the coordinator first before i try and automate it.

some interest in computers per se helps a lot. i would say debian is more
like an industrial distro than a user oriented one.

well that is just my perspective.

i do hope that some where someone is interested enough in the mac kernels
and so forth to follow up with the etch support here.

brian

ps -
Clocking:       94.8MHz
BogoMips:       189.64
this really must be bogus ? the '060 FPU is not much, it is certainly
no a dual cpu. or is that some integer arithmetic unit in there ? I know nothing
about these at all...