Re: Bootable Debian install CD-ROM for Mac 68k

Eugen Paiuc wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 01:24 +0200, Laurent Vivier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I'm happy to announce EMILE, my bootloader for Macintosh m68k, is now
>> able to create bootable CD-ROM.
>>

>> I've juste created an install CD-ROM for sarge.
>
> I just installed sarge from scratch on my Quadra840av with
> a spare SCSI IBM HD of > 9.0 GB.
>

> Mac boot directly in  GUI -!- from cdrom without any input !
> That is Normal - with emile has no chois ! .
> [ off topic ... but ...Even on a oldworld the
> cdrom has the same feature/quality,
> - wish we/can we expect having such
> a cdrom with a m68k/powerpc systems etch ?

Yes, I just need some time. I have to write an Apple driver to put on the CDROM
before to not be under Apple copyright (it's not acceptable for a Debian CD, I
think). EMILE has been designed to boot PowerPC Macintosh (I've several Nubus
powermac, and PCI one not bootable from disk, i.e. first generation powerbook G3).

> -even both systems on a same cdrom-... Please do that !]

I think it's the easy part of the task...

> Mac OS 7.5.3 can't even partition/format that disk !!!

Yes, to partition a non-apple disk you need to use patched tools.
But if you don't want MacOs, you can partition it with fdisk, but as fdisk
doesn't manage APPLE_DRIVER partition, you will not be able to boot from it.
At the moment, I'm working on an EMILE APPLE_DRIVER (EMILE_DRIVER ? ;-) ) you
will be able to add on this disk to make it bootable (So create an empty
partition of 64 kB to put it late).

> Installation is much faster than  a similar
> debian (d-i cdrom).
>
> Regards
>
> Eugen Paiuc

Thank you to use EMILE and for your comments.

Regards,
Laurent