Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:

> - m68k can live without gcj-4.1 for some time, I think, so omit those from
> the release

Actually gcj-4.1 is not an issue anymore (besides current build
dependencies), according to the test results it works for us now even
better than for arm or mips.
The toolchain looks to be in pretty good shape right now and with the
next gcc update every reported problem will be fixed, so while we had
toolchain issues until a few months back, it's not an issue anymore and
thus no reason anymore for not releasing m68k.

Part of the reason I looked through many packages is to find any remaining
compiler problems, but what I found are simply broken packages and with
m68k not a RC anymore, barely anyone looks seriously at these problems.
The problem here is without upstream support any port is in serious
trouble, so IMO it would better to simply drop unsupported packages, if
there are not that important for the port.

The major remaining problem is that m68k is slow and can not always keep
during _development_, but is this really an issue for a _release_? It's
fair to expect that m68k should not hold up the other ports, but is the
only possible answer to drop m68k completely?

bye, Roman