status of linux mac68k kernel

Hi all,

I'm a long-time 68k user, especially with debian, since it was my first linux computer back then and the same IIfx is still faithfully working. I followed the linux-mac68k list for a long time, but apparently it "died off" and nobody knows who managed the computer thus I was advised to subscribe here. I use debian anyway and I think there are no other 68k distributions anymore anyway.

I was quite busy in the past months but I will try in the future to use and test 68k again a bit more. I like to check that the projects [*] I am involved in work and compile fine on 68k.

Unfortunately the boxes I have currently working, a IIfx and a Q950, run a 2.2.25 kernel which was problematic the past year (bad performance, serious network problems on the IIfx, no SCSI DMA on both boxes) but after I run an apt update I notice that more packages and especially start-up scripts cry for a 2.4 or a 2.6 series kernel. I know 2.4 has always been unlucky on mac but about a year ago I tried to do several test builds of the 2.6 series and there were indeed promising news, although it was not yet day-to-day usable to me. Also the build process was cumbersome (it did build only on gcc 3.0 toolchains or it would not boot) and the kernels I built only attempted booting on the Q950 and not the IIfx. I compiled and tested on a well-equipped Q840 which, unfortunately, is currently broken (PSU).

Are there promising news? Is there interest in testing these particular architectures at all?

Cheers,

   Riccardo

[*] these projects would be the kaffe Java VM, GNUstep and the related Gnustep Application Project. Further I wrote PRICE, a gnustep image filtering program, and pico server, a minimal webserver which suits 68k pretty well. Neither pico server nor some of the gnsutep applications are currently in debian though.