Re: buildd macs, was Re: [buildd] Etch?

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:31:01AM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
> > Anyway, I have the logs, what I was after was a kernel core dump, like
> > kdump, netdump or lkcd provides on other architectures, so as to do a
> > postmortem in gdb.
>
> ... which may be pretty hard to do through a serial port. Got it.

Well, there used to be kgdb in the old days (before Macs) but no one ever
used it, so it was dropped. It was explicitly meant to work through the
serial port (though performing a full dump wasn't the point; the kernel
kdgb code would examine storage in the kernel as directed by a remote gdb
process). There were some hooks in the serial driver for it, the rest was
pretty much self contained IIRC. No idea how difficult it would be to
revive that code. We'll need a serial driver first, anyway.