Re: booting 2.6.16-20060523 on my Macintosh Quadra 700

2006/5/26, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>:

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Alex Teclo wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying the new kernel which is at
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/experimental/linux-image-2.6.16-2-mac_2.6.16-15_m68k.deb
>
> At the very first attempt, I got "/dev/sda7 has gone 36417 days without
> being checked, check forced.", and fsck checks sda7. Then the same thing
> for the three other filesystems with 36446 days instead of 36417.

This is probably due to the RTC not working -- another known problem on
macs.

Basically, the kernel has no idea what the time is at boot. But once you
set the time, it should keep time until you shutdown. The best way around
the fsck problem is to boot a 2.2 kernel and disable timestamp based fsck
on each filesystem with

tune2fs -i 0 /dev/sdaN

I just did that and now it never complains the filesystem hasn't been
checked in a long time. Thanks a lot.

But I still do get errors, look:
http://www.geocities.com/alexteclo/quadra700/2_6_16_20060523/010.jpg

Latest news: I have just been able to boot 2.6.16 to the login: prompt
! That is good news ! ... but
1) I can't telnet or ssh to the quadra700, since there's no eth0
2) No support for serial ports (but that's not very important)
3) I can't login. It's just like if the keyboard wasn't plugged in. I
can type what I want, nothing appears on the screen. Is ADB support
working ?

Ok, I've just done 10 boots with 2.6.16-20060523,
for 3 of them, I can get to the login: prompt (but I can't login, see above)
for 7 of them, I get a kernel crash.

Cheers,
Alex