Re: xdm will not open display

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:56:01PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> > My xdm.log file had the following after a boot:
> > Wed Aug 17 00:16:42 2005 xdm error (pid 2084): hung in XOpenDisplay(:0), aborting
> > Wed Aug 17 00:16:42 2005 xdm error (pid 2084): server open failed for :0, giving up
> > Wed Aug 17 00:16:42 2005 xdm error (pid 1455): display :0 cannot be opened
> > Wed Aug 17 00:16:42 2005 xdm error (pid 1455): display :0 is being disabled
>
> So xdm failed to start the X server for display 0.
>
> > If I run X by iteself, as root: X -ac, for example, I will get an X
> > display and X cursor, but no log in window.
>
> But the X server works!
>
> So it looks like (a) xdm runs a different command to start the X server or (b)
> it runs the correct one, but passing weird parameters.
>
> Can you check (using e.g. strace) which X server xdm tries to run? And look in
> /etc/xdm/xdm.conf.

Thanks for the tip on strace!  I was not aware of this tool.
I am running strace -f -ff -o/root/xdm.trace /etc/init.d/xdm start
which has created a collection of files xdm.trace.xxx where xxx is a pid
number in /root as expected.  It looks like the /usr/X11R6/bin/X is the
one that xdm tries to run from the start-stop-daemon, but I'll look at
bit closer.

Interestingly enough, the X process has not died running under strace as
it does when xdm is started from boot or from an xdm start command.
Checking the logs does not show the cannot open display errors.  I am
not at home right now so I cannon say for sure that X has actually
started and put a login window on the console.

The configuration for xdm comes from /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, not
xdm.conf (or at least I have no xdm.conf file on my system, perhaps
sid?).

The only change I made to the xdm-config file is the last line gets
commented out (as described in the comments in the file) so that my
Envizex X terminal can be controlled by xdm.

I noticed that I have to files for X on my machine:
/usr/bin/X11/X
/usr/X11R6/bin/X

both have the same size and creation date, and are otherwize identical.

more info when I can actually be at the console.

Thanks,

--Lance