Re: Release Notes - What kernel versions are supported?

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:40:59PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:01:45AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> > Indeed, I believe there are no 2.6 kernels at all for m68k in sarge.

I stand corrected: there are no 2.6 kernels for d-i for m68k in sarge.

> There are 2.6.8 kernels in sarge, for amiga the kernel works, for mac it
> does not work, for the other subarches I don't know yet, some day my atari
> is in a shape that I can test it.
>
> I have a 2.6.11 for amiga, which works very well and I have a 2.6.10 from
> Finn, which works reasonable well on my mac. However, the keyboard does not
> work on the mac, so it is not suitable for installation. The installer

So hopefully we'll see this good stuff in sid?

> however uses the kernels as mentioned by Wouter, and I don't think it makes
> sense to rush newer 2.6 kernels into sarge, they would not be allowed
> anyhow, but you can easily install them later, actually that is how I set up
> my mac from scratch a week ago. But for post-sarge it will be good to have
> something newer than 2.2.25 for mac...

Agreed.

> As for atari not being supported, I don't remember the problem right now,

The problem is that d-i uses libparted which doesn't yet support atari
partitions.

> but in woody we had a bug with missing SCSI devices which has not been fixed
> until now officially. It took probably two years until the first user
> complains came in that they could not install. There is a workaround and
> there are fixed boot-floppies on my pages. I don't think this bug kept
> people from installing debian, since there was an easy answer to their
> problem. I would even go so far and think due to this problem more people
> installed debian/m68k. They had a problem and reported it and they had an
> answer in less than half an hour. If that is not good support, what is, so
> they where not frightened if other problems came up.

I can also say that m68k d-i has continued to improve over time, even if
slowly, so we might well want to recommend the etch installer to anyone
with sarge problems.

<stephen@marenka.net>