Re: Release Notes - What kernel versions are supported?

[Cc set to m68k-build, which is the m68k porters' mailinglist, as
opposed to the m68k users' mailinglist on lists.debian.org]
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 09:24:25PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> I am working on the Sarge Release Notes and would like some info on the
> kernel versions available for m68k subarchs and supported by Debian
> Installer.
>
> If I look at the archive for Sarge, I see 2.2.25, 2.4.27 and 2.6.8
> kernels.
>
> My questions:
> - Which are available for which subarchs?
> - Which are available for installation with Debian Installer?

You could see that by looking at available packages, I'd say ;-)

By looking at them, I see that there are 2.2.25 packages for amiga,
atari, mac, BVME4000/6000, MVME147, and MVME16x/17x.

For 2.4.27, all of the above plus Q40/Q60.

For 2.6.8, all of the above plus HP9000 and Sun3 machines.

> - Which are preferred / used by default by Debian Installer?

Now that is a very good question :-)

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure Stephen or Christian will correct me
if I am), it's as follows: for mac, 2.2; for everything else, 2.4. The
architectures only supported by 2.6 kernels haven't been tested very
well yet, and don't yet have debian-installer support either; so these
don't have to be mentioned in the release notes, I'd say (or if you do,
only to say that there's no supported installer for them yet).

pavement is precisely one bananosecond