Re: xfree86 4.3 cannot be auto-built

Josh Metzler <joshdeb@metzlers.org> writes:

> Sorry if this has already been communicated to you by someone else.
>
> It looks like xfree86 4.3 needs to be handbuilt, and that it is fairly
> urgent that this happen.  Until it is built, no packages
> Build-Depending on xlibs-dev can build (including xfree86 itself,
> which is why it needs hand-built).
>

> Here is the problem:  xlibs-dev was split into seperate libs, is now a
> virtual package, and is also now Architecture: all.  So, as soon as it
> was built on one arch, xlibs-dev 4.3.0-2 replaced xlibs-dev 4.2.1-16
> on all arches in unstable.  It cannot be installed, though, until the
> libs it depends on are built on each architecture.  These libs are
> built as part of the xfree86 source package, which cannot be built
> because it depends on xlibs-dev which is uninstallable until they are
> built. :(

Which I would consider a bug in the package. Its self referencing
itself for a build. Is that just a transitional once effect or will
that happen every time XFree is uploaded?

The former is OK, the maintainer warned about it on irc and I think
all archs got the word.

The later I would consider a design flaw in the build system for XFree
and a bug or as a very good reason to implement per architecture -all
packages handling.

> As far as I can tell, xfree86 4.3 stil needs built on mips, mipsel,
> m68k, and arm.
>

> Josh Metzler

Next time check www.buildd.net for the package state and read the
buildd logs for archs that did finish already.

Or the official buildd.debian.org pages since www.buildd.net is
inofficial.

MfG
        Goswin