Re: ASDG EB920 Ethernet Support In Debian m68k

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 10:25:37AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> > I was able to pull the NetBSD source tree as you did and found the files
> > that seem to be relevant.
> >
> > I also think I have found the root cause to my problems with this A2000.
> > Recall that I had been observing random Lock-ups with Linux, and most
> > recently thought that it was a problem with communications with a
> > ST15150N hard disk.  I had previously thought that the problem was with
> > a bad 4 Megs SIMM.
> >
> > I replaced the ST15150N drive with a Quantum drive, and started
> > observing the same lock up problems, with and without the extra 4M
> > installed.  It finally occured to me what I had changed in the system,
> > as it had been running Linux quite reliably.
> >
> > I added the ASDG LanRover card in the system.  My guess is that when it
> > received data it would generate an interrupt(s) which would cause the
> > sytem to lock up?   Since my LAN is not that busy, though could occur at
> > random times.
> >
> > Since this card is not yet supported, it was probably generating
> > continuous interrupts, making the system appear to lock up.  I have the
> > config-heartbeat turned on, so even when the system appeared to be
> > locked up, the heartbeat was still flashing on the power led.
> >
> > When I pulled the card, the system behaves quite solid (it would lock up
> > within a few minutes of boot before).
> >
> > Now I'll test with the Seagate drive back in the system, but I suspect
> > that all will be working fine there also.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> That's very plausible. Amiboot contains shut-up code for a few known cards, in
> case they were activated under AmigaOS. Obviously there's no such shut-up code
> for the LanRover (yet), and an incoming packet will cause an interrupt, while
> there's no interrupt handler that knows how to ack the interrupt -> kaboom!
>
> Does the problem go away if you do not initialize the LanRover under AmigaOS,
> but boot into Linux as early as possible?

Yes.  I installed the EB 920 (LanRover) card back in, and powered up
holding both mouse buttons down, and proceeded to boot without a
startup-sequence.  I then booted Linux (2.4.20) and the system came up
as it should.  It has been pinging localhost for over an hour now and no
problems.

So it seems the hypothesis is correct, the card was getting
initialized under AmigaDos, and then Linux did not know what to do with
the interrupts.

Seems like this mystery is solved.