Re: ASDG EB920 Ethernet Support In Debian m68k

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> <snip>
> > I took a quick look. Seems like it's very similar to the Hydra driver.
> > It does support a MAC address in ROM, though.
>
> You said you took a quick look, where?  I've been over the netbsd site,
> found a www access to their source tree, but I have not been able to
> locate a file that looks like an 8390 driver or an ethernet driver.
>
> I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

I don't remember the exact file name. I just downloaded the whole NetBSD kernel
source tree and grep'ed for ASDG or LanRover or 8390 or Hydra or something like
that.

> It looks like the MAC address on the EB-920 (LanRover) card is in a 32
> byte PROM chip (74288) so I should be able to program a part for my
> other card.

OK.

> > If possible, I suggest to add support for it to zorro8390.c, not hydra.c.
> >
> > zorro8390.c is the generic 8390 driver used for Ariadne 2 and X-Surf. It uses
> > the standard 8390 RAM access port for getting packets in/out of the card.
> >
> > hydra.c is less generic and special because on Hydra you cannot access the
> > standard 8390 RAM access port, so you have to access RAM directly.
>
> Well, since I don't know enough to have a preference, that's where I'll
> start (zoorro8390.c).

OK, and if storing/receiving packets from the card's memory doesn't work, you
can fallback to the Hydra driver.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds