Re: [linux-mac68k] Re: PowerBook 540c

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Erik C.J. Laan wrote:

> Rick Genter wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to volunteer to help make the PowerBook 540c a first-class
> >> Linux citizen. My question: where would my efforts be best applied?
> >> 68LC040 support? Nativing booting? Somewhere else?
>
> LC040 support is tricky because of a bug that prevents FPU emulation
> from working correctly up to now.

I guess the CPU in my LC475 is free of this bug, since the in-kernel FPU
emulation works fine with 2.6.8.1 (though it seems a lot slower than the
full 040).

> There's been some talk about ways to work around this bug on the
> linux/m68k and linux/mac68k maillists (CCed), but it's not been done
> yet.

As someone else pointed out recently, just having some way to determine
the presence or absence of the bug would be good.

> One area I think Linux/mac68k is lacking is SCSI DMA support on the
> NCR53c9x. This makes these machines quite slow. If you can help out with
> that is would be great, although the Linux/mac68k status page tells me
> your PB540c has a NCR5380. Someone did write (some parts?) of the
> SCSI-DMA driver for that.

NCR5380 support is broken in 2.6.8.1 (AFAICT -- meaning, it is reported
broken on IIfx, and I've confirmed than on an LC III). Maybe the PB 540c
has IDE as well, or doesn't suffer the same bug for some reason... it is
worth a try.

IDE is reported to be broken on one particular model of powerbook --
forgotten which one, someone is working on it IIRC. Certainly IDE works
great on an LC630.

-F