PowerBook 540c

I have a PowerBook 540c; I've had it since I bought it back in 1994 when they first came out. Recently I dug it out of my old hardware closet and fired it up. It still works just fine, though the battery won't hold a charge.

My observation is that Linux generally works better on slow hardware than the "native" graphical OSes such as Windows or MacOS, so I decided I wanted to try and put Linux on my PowerBook. After investigation, though, it looks like Linux is currently not quite there for my PowerBook:

- the 68K implementations don't support the 68LC040
- the Macintosh 68K implementations don't boot natively; you have to through a MacOS-based bootloader, requiring a MacOS partition on the hard drive

That being the case, and being a believe, I'd like to volunteer to help make the PowerBook 540c a first-class Linux citizen. My question: where would my efforts be best applied? 68LC040 support? Nativing booting? Somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Rick