Re: ext3

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 14:25 -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
> Ron,
> I am using kernel 2.2.25 from the sarge area on debian.org. How do I tell
> if I have ext3 in the kernel? This machine doesn't have enough space to
> install all the source and such, so I will not be able to build my own kernel.

If the file /boot/config-`uname -r` exists, then you can do:
grep EXT3 /boot/config-`uname -r`

For example, on my 2.6.8 system:
$ grep EXT3 /boot/config-`uname -r`

Note: ext3 might not work, or may be broken in the 2.2 kernels.
Google around before you try it....

> Tony
> >On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 12:17 -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
> > > When I installed debian the only file system choice was ext2. Now that I
> > > have it all installed I would like to change it to ext3. Is there a way to
> > > do that WITHOUT erasing all the data?
> >
> >Absolutely.  That's the great thing about ext3...
> >
> ># tune2fs -j /dev/your.disk.partition.here
> >
> >Don't forget to edit /etc/fstab afterwards!!
> >
> >BTW, is ext3 support compiled into your kernel?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"If you don't know how to do something, you don't know how to do
it with a computer."