Re: xfce

On Thursday 19 August 2004 14:11, Tony Pitman wrote:
> Gavin,
>
> Ok, so why then do I get the same error when I try to start Dillo?
> Shouldn't it start up whatever it needs? Do I need to installed the
> x-window-system also?

X apps won't 'automatically start' anything - they will expect there to be an
already-running X environment i.e. it expects there to be an env variable
called DISPLAY which points to an X server.

e.g. on a typical workstation this is "DISPLAY=:0" meaning the first running X
instance on the local machine.

x-window-system is a Debian metapackage which drags in all the fonts, binaries
and helper files that XFree86 needs to run, talk to your graphics card, deal
with a mouse and keyboard, and provide X server facilities :)

There's also the lighter 'x-window-system-core' but I have never used this...

After installing it, you might be able to get away with as little as 'startx'
to get things going with a simple window manager. xterm will be the next
thing you need. And solid advice - Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will instantly kill the
X server in case you get lost :)

Cheers,
Gavin.