Re: Atari Updates for d-i rc2

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:25:29PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> I'll try to ask them to test the *.img.

Thanks. I've been wondering if it was worth building.

> > We don't have a firm date, but it's supposed to be released by the end
> > of the month. So anything going in had probably better already be
> > working in the archive a week before that.
>
> that's like 10 days of time. I'll try to modify the bootstrap to solve
> the "Allocate from TT-RAM" problem and let it test by as many people as
> possible.

Cool.

> > > If it's impossible to provide the clean fallback when bogl fails then I
> > > am afraid we'd have to give up on the framebuffer altogether. Since
> > > forcing the users to always install in monochrome mode (or truecolor)
> > > might not be the best option... Or perhaps put all available manpower
> > > into fixing bogl? Amiga users would be happy, too.
> >
> > I can't tell you what the right thing to do is. Probably this should be
> > the last of the three.
>
> I don't understand. You mean to fix the bogl better than adding a
> fallback to d-i? I know how to do it but I don't have time. The bogl

I don't know how to do fix bogl or d-i to add a fallback. Further, I
don't really have the time either -- I'm starting to get a pile of
stuff needed for rc2. If nothing else, we should file a bug on bogl and
maybe one on d-i to have a better fallback.

> needs to add a couple of routines: put_pixel, horizontal_line,
> vertical_line, draw_character and something for mouse pointer. The code
> could be taken from http://emutos.sf.net/ or from any of the free VDI
> implementations (fVDI, oVDI) and some code is even in ARAnyM, I think.
> Somebody experienced could put it together rather quickly. The question
> is how to compile and test it? It's an udeb. I don't have any experience
> with that.

A udeb is just a program wrapped in a special debian installer package.
I'm pretty sure that bogl is actually on the ramdisk as a program,
so just replacing it on the disk image should be enough for testing.

I can give you access to one of my machines for compiling if you need.
(Of course, they're slow and overworked at the moment so hopefully you
can do better.)

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>