Re: "unable to open initial console" overcame

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:07:07AM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> V Po, 09. 08. 2004 v 23:38, Wouter Verhelst píše:
> > > console=tty0
> > >
> > In that case, the bug isn't in the kernel, but in debian-installer:
>
> well, your patch makes sense but the Warning is printed by kernel
> itself, probably before the userdevfs is activated.

Yes, I know that. But the userdevfs-dev.txt file is used to generate the
ext2 filesystem, so that creates the device nodes which are on the
initrd even before it boots.

Really. That's the problem. I had seen it before, but didn't think the
issues were related, because the symptoms seemed to differ...

> > > The d-i doesn't work yet, it stops somewhere at switching console to
> > > UTF, but for me it's a huge success :-)
> >
> > Have you tried *not* selecting your preferential language, but using
> > English instead?
>
> I didn't get to selecting the language. It freezed before that.

Oh. Could you provide a log?

(seen you're using a serial console, something like

script
cu -lttyS0 -s19200

should work. At least it did here...)

--