Re: CLgen driver and video modes

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:18:30PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> > I'm trying to use some of the higher resolution video modes of the
> > clgen driver on my EGS Spectrum video card on my A2000.  I'm entering
> > the command:
> >
> > "video:clgen:monitorcap:50;100;30;54,mode:med"
> >
> > on the Amiboot command line (which does show up in dmesg)
> > but it still seems to come up in the 640x480 instead of 800x600
> > according to the documentation I have seen (clgen.txt, included
> > with the Debian m68k distribution).
> >
> > I have read from a WWW search that this functionality may have been
> > disabled in later kernels, and that there may be a patch out there
> > to put this feature back in.  Does anyone have this, or suggestions
> > for getting higher resolution?
>
> Which kernel are you using?

I am using 2.4.26 compiled from the latest m68k cvs sources from the
-rm68k-2_4 branch.  It does not seem that this has been updated to
2.4.27 yet, as I just updated and re-compiled this past Thursday.

> I see no mode named `med' in the 2.4.27-rc4 sources. Please try `800x600'
> instead.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it and report back to the group. It
looks like some work will be needed on the clgen.txt then to describe
the change in the mode names.

Also, clgen.txt describes a program called freq which is supposed to
report and allow changes of many parameters in a running driver.  Does
anyone know where this program is available, or is it rendered useless
by subsequent driver changes?

> BTW, you may want to try the new cirrusfb in 2.6.x, which will show up in
> 2.6.8 (or try 2.6.7 and the patches that were posted on lkml).

Will 2.6.* compile with gcc 2.95.4?

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> 						Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
> 							    -- Linus Torvalds

Thanks Geert!

--Lance
LanceTag@Luminet.net