Re: FW: Call for m68k/atari debian-installer testers

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 09:06:16AM +0200, Szymanski, Frank-Peter (DMT) wrote:
> > > http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/m68k/beta4/
> > It figures, that one is screwed up (I asked for it to be listed in the
> > beta 4 errata). In any case, none of the initrd's on that
> > disk had atari support built-in.
> > Please try one from
> > <http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/test/atari/>.
>
> I tried it with Didier Mequignon's CT60 kernel.
>
> My bootargs were the following:
>
> bootstra.prg -s .k vmlinux.ct60 -r cdron-initrd.gz root=/dev/ram
> video=keep load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk=20000
> debian-installer/framebuffer=false
>
> With these settings the install program starts until it tries to find a
> networking card. :-) Then it doesn't find any but I could continue
> installation. ;-) After that the install program unfortunately doesn't
> find a harddisk although at bootup my IDE drive was found on which are
> two partitions for Linux, one is an ext2, the other is swap and are
> marked in XHDI as LNX and SWP. :-(
>
> Then the installation fails. Any hints? Does the current kernel support
> hard disks > 8 GB? I know that there was a problem aeons ago with Mac or
> ATARI ide harddisks > 8GB but I thought it was fixed in current
> 68k-kernels.

This might be parted/partman or whatever it's called not having Atari
support. Didn't Stephen say something about that recently? I got stuck there
with my Amiga on my first and second try, too, I am sure he can fix that.
There should be some messages on the other consoles, they might give you an
idea where it is stuck.

But... what about the network card? If we really get some of these for
Debian, a working network card is of high priority. Is there somebody out
there who could start working on a driver? I am not quite sure what is
needed, the card is an ISA card, so you only need a driver to map the ISA
bus to the ROM port?

Christian