Re: Debian/Linux/BSD/UNIX on Mac *SE*

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:17:21AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 22:21, Joe Clark wrote:
> > > Hi there.  I got the brainstorm tonight to consider turning a couple old
> > > doorstop Mac SE's I've got sitting around into very very basic Linux
> > > machines.  It looks like most sites point to the fact that there are
> > > options for an SE/30, but not really any options for a Mac SE (68000).  Do
> > > any of you know of any options at all for the SE, or is it really just a
> > > doorstop these days?
> >
> > You'd have to run a no-MMU (i.e. microcontroller) version of the
> > kernel.  Fortunately, that option is available.
>
> Really? For Mac? Where?

I see an "arch/m68knommu" in the Linux 2.6 kernel sources, and I think
that's been merged from the uClinux project.

  http://www.uclinux.org/

Three or four years ago I built a version of Penguin booter that ran on
MMU-less Macs and hacked together a 2.0.38 kernel for my Mac SE with an
ethernet card.  The kernel never made it very far, but it did start
booting.  I still have the modified Penguin source and kernel source,
though.

Dave