Re: m68k debian-installer call for testers

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:55:43AM -0500, Hank wrote:

> Tried the 3-14-04 build on a Quadra 840AV. Installed Sarge or the
> testing distro using the nativehd.gz files. Everything went fine. Just
> took a long time to load everything. Seems like the installer takes an
> awful long time compared to the previous installer.

I'd appreciate it if you'd file a bug as per installation reports in
<http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/cvs/debian-installer/doc/INSTALLATION-HOWTO>

So far I'm the only person to actually do this. As far as I know, you're
the second person to ever finish a m68k d-i install.

> Took me about  6 hours  to complete a base install and and to insta
> But once it's installed, it seems the video is running about 20-35%
> faster. Doesn't seem to drag like it used to. Got X running. Runs pretty
> nice. Seems quite a bit faster than woody. I like the extra utilities
> for partitioning and formatting the hard drives in the new installer.
> Took me about  6 hours  to complete a base install and and to install
> the default packages that dselect offers plus enought X files to get X
> running. Seems like the installer does quite a bit of checking and
> verifying the files that slows the install process down.

Yes, but is it a bug or a feature? ;-)

d-i uses a great deal of modular scripting instead of one massive C
program. I expect it to both be slower and more ram intensive. On the
other hand, it should be way more maintainable and that was the idea.
It's also easier to get involved with.

> If it takes 6 hours on a Quadra 840AV with 64 MB over DSL, How long will
> it take on 68030 or 68020 mac? [snip]

I imagine it will be pretty painful.

> [snip] But it seems to be an excellent version
> so far. The best yet.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>