Re: network configuration

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:52:31AM -0500, Hank wrote:
> Tomy Alarie wrote:
>
> >Hi hank, i've finally tried what i've told you .. Nothing worked...
> >but not my dhcp tryout but maybe it can work, when i've seen that it
> >doesn't recognize my dhcp i just restart my computer , so maybe it works.
>
> If your dhcp server is working, then boot process will pick it up and
> configure your network card.
>
> Reconfiguring your NIC can be done after it's been configured with a
> static IP. You'll just have to dig a little deeper.
> The easiest way to do it is to just start from scratch. Wipe out
> everything. And let the boot install procedure set it up for you.

Ouch, this hurts... you don't have to wipe out everything to reconfigure
your NIC, you do not even have to reboot, like in other popular OSes...

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.11
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.254

Edit this file, as you can see I removed the original dhcp entry.
ifdown eth0 before you edit, ifup eth0 after you're done.

Install switchconf or a similar package if your machine hops between
networks, it comes with examples and allows you to: switchconf dhcp,
switchconf home, switchconf work and adjust your NIC and more (hosts file,
exim setup, you name it) automagically.

> >I'm gonna try the 2.4 kernel. There's no update since a while , whats
> >happening with this kernel ?
>
> Try this link.
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/

2.4.24-1 is in the archive since yesterday or so. I tried 2.4.25 last night,
but the mac image failed to build in some modules, haven't looked into this
yet. You want to run 2.4.x on a mac? Well, good luck, doesn't work on my
Q840AV yet, if you have patches, I would be happy to include them.

Christian