Re: How to code drivers?

On 19 Sep 2003 01:20:05 -0400, "Ray Knight" <audilvr@speakeasy.org> said:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 19:23, Per Gustav Ousdal wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I figure I need to get somewhere with my C coding, and I was thinking
> > that writing drivers for my unsupported AMIGA hw might be a good way of
> > progressing.

I was thinking that writing DMA support for the SCSI controller on my Mac
would be a good place for you to start :)

> > Do you have any pointers to resources (books, websites,
> > good source code, other?) that you could reccomend for a newbie to get
> > him started?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Per
>
> The best starting place is the Linux kernel code.  Look at the driver
> code for a similar device.   For instance if your going to write an
> Ethernet driver, look at the code for other Ethernet devices for your
> hardware platform.
>
> --
> Ray Knight <audilvr@speakeasy.org>

I'm very much a beginner, but that's the deal, isn't it?  Read source
code.

I got a few clues from reading the information here
http://linux-mac68k.sourceforge.net/

I highly recommend Alan Cox's schpeal about porting the Linux kernel to
the Mac (after it was already ported to Amiga).  I had no idea about how
to even go about any of these tasks before I read it, and I found it very
enlightening.  Every now and then I read it again, and find I understand
this or that part of it better.

Good luck,

Lincoln