Re: libc6-dev conflict

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 02:47:28AM +0000, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently did an apt-get update
> then an apt-get upgrade to update my packages.  I'm running the
> 2.4.20 kernel on an Amiga 030/40MHz/12Mram system.
>
> I am told by apt-get that I have libc6-2.2.5-11.2 installed
> and that the new libc6-dev which was seen to be available
> requires libc6-2.2.5-11.5, which does not seem to be available.
> Now any attempt at using apt-get upgrade fails when it sees
> this requirement error.

I assume something is broken with your sources.list, do you have security in
it? -11.2 is in woody, -11.5 is a security update. Maybe run apt-get update
again in case your mirror is a little slow (-11.5 is from April...)

cts@aahz:~>wajig policy libc6 libc6-dev
libc6:
  Installed: 2.3.1-16
  Candidate: 2.3.1-16
  Version Table:
     2.3.1-17 0
         -2 http://ftp.lug.udel.edu unstable/main Packages
 *** 2.3.1-16 0
        500 http://ftp.lug.udel.edu testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.2.5-11.5 0
        990 http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main Packages
     2.2.5-11.2 0
        990 http://ftp.lug.udel.edu woody/main Packages
     2.2.5-9.woody.3 0
        500 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages
libc6-dev:
  Installed: 2.3.1-16
  Candidate: 2.3.1-16
  Version Table:
     2.3.1-17 0
         -2 http://ftp.lug.udel.edu unstable/main Packages
 *** 2.3.1-16 0
        500 http://ftp.lug.udel.edu testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.2.5-11.5 0
        990 http://security.debian.org woody/updates/main Packages
     2.2.5-11.2 0
        990 http://ftp.lug.udel.edu woody/main Packages
     2.2.5-9.woody.3 0
        500 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages

Both versions you are looking for are on auric, so they should be on the
mirrors, too.

> I am assuming that the previous version of libc6-dev is still
> being used by those programs that need it since the install
> of the new one did not complete.

I don't think libc6-dev is "used" by other programs, it is mainly a
dependency of other -dev packages. If you do not compile anything on your
box, I don't think you need it at all.

Christian