Re: Mac Quadra 700: known problem w/ Ethernet ?

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have here one Q700 and one ci. The ci machine works flawlessly (Asante
> Ethernet card). Plug the same hard disk into the Q700, however, and the
> machine sends Ethernet packets with corrupted checksums.
>
> It's always the same error; for instance, I can resolve ftp.us.debian.org, > but not security.debian.org. That was kindof difficult to debug at first. :-/
>
> The error pattern changes depending on which slot the card is in.
>
> The internal AAUI Ethernet also acts up; I get "receiver overrun" errors
> and a hung machine as soon as I enable it and packets arrive.
>
> Is this a known problem, or should I assume that the machine is fried?

I used to have a Q700 on which I tried to run Linux. My Q700 was a
really early
one (bought the moment Quadra's where available in NL) with an early
MC68040. It
seemed the CPU cache had problems. In MacOS you had to disable the CPU
cache with
the cache Control Panel for it to me stable. In Linux it was unstable,
however not in e consistent way as you describe, so maybe this is a
different problem. The problems I where have were regular segfaults etc.

HTH, Erik
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message,	 please cut unrelevant pieces from a reply.