Re: LC/Performa 475 Errors.

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 22:28, Dana Sibera wrote:

> On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 08:50  AM, R Seiji wrote:
>
> > In the processes of configuring installation on the above system. Have
> > 36MB RAM and have upgraded CPU to 040 (from LC). Keep getting the
> > following alert:
> >
> >  Unexpected IRQ 3 on device 00000000
> >
> > Any ideas on how to eliminate. Doesn’t seem to affect anything, but is
> > annoying when watching the terminal.
>

> This can be fixed by editing one of the scripts that starts up the
> kernel logging daemon.
>
> The file to edit is /etc/init.d/klogd and has a line in it with:
>
> KLOGD=""
>
> change this line to
>
> KLOGD="-2 -c 4"
>
> then as root, restart the kernel logging by running the script with a
> restart argument at the commandline:
>
> /etc/init.d/klogd restart
>
> should do it. A restart will work also :). For info on what those
> arguments mean, doing a "man klogd" will tell you all you need. I used
> to know what the unexpected irq was related to, but it's slipped way
> somewhere I can't remember at the moment - it does however, seem
> restricted to 475s/Quadra 605s, and gets worse as my machines were
> overclocked, making the console painful, sometimes impossible to use.
>
> be well!
> dana
> --
> http://www.danamania.com/

I have seen this problem on my LC475 also.  As I haven't seen it on any
of my other Macs, I thought it was a hardware problem with my LC475.
It's interesting to hear others have the same problem and that it's
limited to the 475/605 boxes (which are essentially identical
motherboards).  Dana if you happen to remember what this is related to
it would help me in tracking down where/how to handle it in the kernel
code.  Could it perhaps be related to memory?  The frequency of the
messages seemed to increase when I upgraded from 36 MB of RAM to 68 MB.

Ray