Re: e2fsck hangs mac

Op wo 30-04-2003, om 15:45 schreef Hans Bergström:
> Quadra 700 20 MB RAM, Linux on a (std Mac) 500 MB disk, MacOS on a 80 MB
> disk and another 9 GB on a Compaq 30-559812-06 w. active termination
> (according to scsi in /proc/scsi it's a model BB00921B91).
> This last drive gives me trouble. When mounted and the Linux-box is left
> with no activity for a few hours the system hangs and can't be contacted
> from anywhere. If the Compaq is not mounted there is no problem. Also, after
> on-off recovery and forced e2fsck on root partition, when I try to e2fsck
> the Compaq, the system hangs again after the first pass. If I mount it w/o
> e2fsck check the disk runs normally, i.e. I can store and retrive files etc.
> But I feel a bit uncomfortable.
> Any ideas out there? Any driver patches I need for this Compaq?

The trouble is in your SCSI-controller. You'll want to boot Linux with
the following extra kernel parameter:

mac53c9x=1,0

which will disable disconnects, and fix this issue, albeit that it might
slow down SCSI access.

See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2003/debian-68k-200304/msg00092.html
for a full discussion of the issue.

--
wouter at grep dot be
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a