Re: Macintosh problems not junk please read i need help from another comp user !

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 15:58, lrutledge wrote:

> I'm having lots of trouble with Debian on my Mac, the system locks up
> when trying to install anything from CD.  I understand the problem is my
> particular SCSI driver (Quadra 610) has disconnect issues, and no DMA.
> But I did get it installed and networking works.
>
> NetBSD and OpenBSD also run on the old Macs if your hardware isn't
> supported well under Linux.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Lincoln

Try adding mac53c9x=1,0 to the command line in Penguin.  This should
solve your problem with installing from CD.  It disables disconnects in
the SCSI driver.

SCSI-I devices cause problems with the NCR53C9X controller (used in the
'040 Macs) when they disconnect so the driver doesn't allow disconnects
for SCSI-I devices.  The same type of problems were noted with SCSI-II
devices (most notably the early Apple CD-ROMs) on some '040 Macs so the
mac_esp driver was modified to take a command line parameter to turn off
disconnects entirely.

Ray