Re: Macintosh problems not junk please read i need help from another comp user !

lrutledge wrote:
Christian T. Steigies wrote:

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 03:19:21PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

Am 11:16 2003-04-17 -0400 hat Christian T. Steigies geschrieben:

The QUestion is, how do I get the 17 Files onto the Floppys ?

With 'dd' ???

I never did this, I had a working system on my harddisk, copied all the
floppies onto it, and installed with this onto a fresh harddisk (lots of
trouble formatting a non-mac harddisk and emulator fun deleted). But while I
was looking for info on this, I found a lot of nice webpages, mostly
emulator related, but still very useful for a mac newbie. Like this:

http://mes.emuunlim.com/macemu/basilisk2/basilisk2help/step3_floppy.htm

You can access hqx files from Linux, but I don't know if it is possible to write to a mac floppy from linux, never tried. You can however write to the
mac harddisk (once it is formatted for the mac?), this saved my life many
times.

Christian

That is a very helpful link, I had the chicken-and-egg problem myself with my Quadra.

If that doesn't work you may be able to rawrite or dd a boot disk image. If you need an image and you ask nice I could do that over the weekend.

The problem I had was that I had a Helen Keller Mac that could not communicate with the rest of the world, and you have to at least install deBinHex to install Debian. I had OS 7.1. I ended up using Mac-ette under DOS on a PC to copy files to mac disk format.

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/collections/hensa-micros/local/mac/diskmanager/macette-30.hqx

That is not necessary under OS 7.5, it will read DOS floppies.

Then I copied the necessary files onto my Mac and installed away.

I also used Fetch ftp program once I had set up System 7.5 and had TCP/IP working through my NIC. I had to use my roommate's XP box as a gateway using WinRoute.

http://getfetch4.com/Fetch_3.0.3_Installer.hqx

Fetch is only good for 30 days, so I started using Netscape for downloading and browsing etcetera. I stuck a copy of Netscape 2.02 on my web server.

http://www.fairfield.lib.oh.us/scratch/Netscape2.02Installer.hqx

Or you can peruse 'ftp.netscape.com'. I usually use 4.03(?) I think, 2.02 was real unstable.

Everything you want to know about old Macs.

http://www.jagshouse.com/

I'm having lots of trouble with Debian on my Mac, the system locks up when trying to install anything from CD. I understand the problem is my particular SCSI driver (Quadra 610) has disconnect issues, and no DMA. But I did get it installed and networking works.

NetBSD and OpenBSD also run on the old Macs if your hardware isn't supported well under Linux.

Hope this helps,

Lincoln

Here's a howto on making a boot disk for a Mac on a PC...

http://www.jagshouse.com/bootdisc.html

Lincoln