Re: Debian folder missing

Moin,
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:03:48PM +0300, Arto Noronen wrote:

> I bought Debian GNU/Linux v.3.0r1 14 CD set.

14 CDs? I hope that includes the source CDs?

> It was said that this release is compatible with
> older macs (68k). I checked that my Quadra 900 was
> also supported.

So you did buy the binary-m68k CDs?

> When I try to make installation I can?t find
> folder called Debian on these CD?s.

http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody/
    * Where are the install files on the CD?

      Have a look in:

 dists/woody/main/disks-m68k/current

 There are no info files, so on Amiga you have to show all files, to find the
 directories. Hopefully for the next version, everything will be in the
 install directory again.

Note: my pleas for an updated version of the boot-floppies to fix this, and
other problems, have been ignored so far. Complain at the powers that be, ie
the debian-boot list.

> Installation manual tells that this folder contains
> Penguine booter, linux.bin and root.bin.
> I found these files from www.debian.org and now when
> I try to start installation I get message " Unable to allocate memory
> for kernel and ramdisk total (0x00837000)".
> If I don?t use ramdisk linux starts to run but ends up giving
> message "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00"

Are you sure you have the right ramdisk and kernel? This looks different
than this:

 # I am trying to install Debian on my Mac, but when I start the Penguin I get:

 RAMDISK : Compressed image found at block 0
 VFS : Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
 VFS : Cannot open root device 00:00
 Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

 You forgot to add

 root=/dev/ram

 to the kernel boot options in Penguin.

> Quadra configuration:
> 64 MB memory
> 500 MB and 1GB SCSI disks
> SCSI CD-ROM
> Farallon NuBus card
> Mac OS 8.1(Finnish)

Maybe you can give us a little more information, Penguin has some options to
produce more output, from the SCSI bus for example. The only thing I know
for sure is that the boot-floppies work very well on my Quadra840AV. I
installed MacOS 7.5.3 from scratch, copied the install files to the
harddisk, and got woody running with no problems. The installer booted with
the original 32MB, and it still works after I replaced that by 128MB. Maybe
you have a special quadra version, maybe finnish is not supported by linux
;-)

Christian