Problems with self-compiled kernel

Hi, everyone!

I've run into an (for me) unsolvable problem. I have installed a fresh Woody
m68k (3.0r1, incl. update-disc) from the official CD-ROMs on my good old ATARI
TT (no accelerator-boards installed). I have not changed any relevant
configurations and I have not isntalled any unstable or non-standard software
on it.

For the past few days I have been trying to compile a customized kernel for
the past few days. However, all of the attempts I made seem to have produced a
bad kernel-image.

My last try was using the kernel version 2.2.20 (which should work, since it
is the one shipped with the dist, and that runs just fine) from the original
debian source package and with the original debian kernel-patches for m68k
applied. All compiled well, but just as before, the image wouldn't boot.

When I try to boot the new image from TOS, Bootstrap.prg unpacks the image,
recognises the bootinfo-version 2.1, and then the system freezes even before
the screen gets blanked and all I can do is hit the reset button and boot the
old kernel again.

Does anyone have similar experiences and/or know a way to get it running?

Could it be a problem with the kernel-bootinfo (wrong start-address, etc.) or
rather gcc or the linker? What could I change for it to work?

I am using the standard settings, so it's the gcc 2.95.4, and it runs fine
when building Linux-ELF-binaries (like e2fsprogs, cdrecord, etc.).

I'd appreciate any help anyone might have. Thanks!!!

Björn Buske
begin:vcard
n:Buske;Björn
tel;fax:+49 - 40 - 41 09 52 80
tel;home:+49 - 40 - 420 68 53
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;Kaiser-Friedrich-Ufer 9;20253 Hamburg;;;GERMANY
version:2.1
email;internet:bobobear@tecs.de
fn:Björn Buske
end:vcard