Re: serial console on Mac Woody?

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 01:35:50AM -0500, Bryan Kattwinkel wrote:
> I've successfully installed Woody on a Mac Quadra 700, and now want to
> run the thing as a pure server with no monitor or keyboard. The Mac OS
> and Penguin programs seem to boot up reliably, but I've had various
> failures during Linux boot which result in no ability to contact the
> machine by telnet or other means. I really don't have room to keep a
> monitor and keyboard with the machine and don't have any KVM switch.
>
> So I am thinking of trying to configure linux to use a serial port as the
> console, and then each time I boot it, run ZTerm or something similar on
> my desktop PowerMac to monitor the boot process and deal with any
> problems. Do any of you use Macs this way and do you have any advice or
> tips on making it work?

When using scren sharing programs in MacOS, with machines that might
boot without a screen attached, we had to use a video plug to make it
think there was a monitor there. Otherwise it would turn the video
card off, and it could not be activated until the next boot. Maybe
Linux is gettng pissed about that.

I think the serial console idea would work fine, but have no experience
to share. I've succeeded with serial console on a powerpc, though;
I used a 38400 baud rate - it didn't like 9600. Maybe you could use
115200. You have to boot with the correct arguments, and modify the
init.d, IIRC.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003