Missing network interface after installing using 2.2.23

Hello,

    I am installing Debian onto my Quadra 660AV.
    I am using the network to do the installation. My network is a little
home network where I have DSL, a router and my quadra is hanging off that.
The router is using DHCP for internal clients. All is well when the install
program gets it's stuff from debian.org during the install procedure, but
then at first boot, the final setup steps it asks me to setup a PPP client
for connecting to the network.

   In other words, I think that although the install kernel sees my built
in ethernet, the regular kernel (2.2.23) doesn't see it. What do I do to
get the regular kernel to see my ethernet? I'm thinking I'm missing
parameters on the kernel command line??

Any ideas?

Thanks,

George