Re: XFree 4.1

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:53:21 +0100, Kars de Jong wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 13:45, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> > > module loading is still broken on 68060, missing cacheflush somewhere.
> > > Untill this can be fixed use the statically linked version of the
> > > X server which should be in the debuggibg package.
> >
> > If somecan can provide a user level mechanism of flushing the cache
> > on 060 then I'll add it to the XFree86 CVS.
>
> > It's already done on Alpha and PPC machines, so the place at which this
> > should be done is already in place.
>
> You have to use the cacheflush() syscall on m68k because the
> cacheflushing instructions are priviliged.

It's only the instruction cache we need to flush. Not the whole cache.
I notice in asm-m68k/pgalloc.h there's a specific flush_icache() macro
to do just that.

> Unfortunately it is not advisable to use the same method of cache
> flushing as is done for Alpha and PPC, because these flush the cache
> every time a relocation is done, which is extremely inefficient (several
> hundred if not more syscalls() for a single module, believe me, I tried
> and it's no fun).

There are only two relocations used in the loader for m68k at the moment,
and I doubt it's going to be a massive performance hit. But having a
working loader is a step in the right direction even if it is slower.
We can work out how to speed it up later.

Alan.