Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:11:41AM +0100, Thomas Sjölin wrote:

> My other problem in X now that I've got it up and running is this:
>
> All this is with a CV64/3D..
>
> If I boot with virge:640x480-16 and have 16 as default in bitplanes I can
> only get a 16-bit X that looks as it should. Even using -- -bpp 8 or --
> -depth 8 (or 24 in both cases) makes the graphics look really ugly.
>
> If I boot with 640x480-8 I can only get an 8-bit X that looks right and the
> rest is the same for other depth...
>
> I cannot change the resolution either, I always get a 1024x768 at 87 hz,
> even if I enter "openvt -c 7 fbset YYYYxZZZ-FF". It still reverts to the
> mentioned resolution and refreshrate.

I think this is a feature, but I remember I could change the resolution with
fbset. Not sure about the depth though. And I can not test it anymore, since
my CV3D is dead :-(
So just pick one depth and stick with it, if 16 bit is fast enough for you,
why would you want 8?
If you don't like it, grab the virgefb source (the latest should be included
in the kernel-patch, in CVS, if not, grab it from my pages) and fix it
yourself. But be sure to talk to Ken Tyler, he rewrote the whole driver, he
might be able to help.

> As I can't find my alt-key I cannot test if it's possible to change
> resolution when in X... and I find no tool in KDE to do that with either..

fbdev. And try xev to figure out which key is mapped where.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody