Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 09:01, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:11:54AM -0400, Hank wrote:
> > Just a few comments on X (4.1.0.1):
> >
> > Finally got it running after working around a few problems: (Quadra
> > 840AV, 1 MB
> > video memory).
> >
> > Looks better than the old one. Just noticed that you couldn't switch
> > back to the
> > console using the "Ctrl + Alt + Fx" combination anymore.
>
> works for me.

On a Macintosh?  I can't seem to get it to work.  If you have it working
on a Mac, please tell us the appropriate XFConfig file magic.

> > X fails using 2 bit color, and 4 bit color. Works fine on 8 bit mode. 16
> > bit mode produced a lot of funky colors.
>
> it appears the fbdev driver doesn't query the colormask from the
> framebufferdevice and instead uses some defaults.
>
> Btw your email headers are prety misleading.
>
> Richard

Using the woody installer to set up X on a Macintosh is an exercise in
futility.  There is no proper selection for the mouse, the help text
does tell what keyboard selection is proper for the Mac though.  There
needs to be a Device entry of /dev/adbmouse added and the protocol
should be BusMouse.  The default config on potato for the Mac mapped the
Ctrl and Alt keys so the silly single button Mac mouse was actually
usable in X.  If anyone knows how to do this in XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1
please let me know.

Ray