Re: Fw: Debian Linux on an old macintosh

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 12:59:24PM -0600, George Bingham wrote:
>    I am doing the mount /dev/fd0 /floppy (The entries in fstab fill in the missing pieces of
> that command) but it comes back with :
>
> The kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block device.

That's because there isn't a driver for the floppy controller. In fact,
there isn't a working driver for floppies on any 68k mac, tho there
is code for the IIfx and Quadra 900/950 that doesn't work. The AV
macs will probably be the last to be supported, since they supposedly
have a completely different controller from any other mac model.

>    And when I try the same thing for the cdrom, I get:
>
> Special device /dev/cdrom does not exist.

That probably means that you need to make /dev/cdrom a symlink to
the correct device. I assume you have a SCSI CD-ROM drive, in
which case you need to make /dev/cdrom a link to /dev/scd0.

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

I'm not sure, but the installer probably defaults to IDE.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com