Cannot installing from CD-ROM drive

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed a little before, but there seems to have been no resolution, so here goes:

Problem: When trying to install kernel and packages from Debian 3.0 m68k CD, the installer fails with an error, "CD-ROM not mounted successfully"

Basic Info: Working with: Mac Quadra 605 (upgraded to full 68040 CPU), 36MB RAM, 1.2Gig internal SCSI HD (bus 0, ID 0), external Apple 8X SCSI CD-ROM (bus 0, ID 3). SCSI chain terminated properly. Can copy booter, kernel and RAM disk files from Debian CD to Mac OS volume on my internal SCSI hard drive. Can boot into installer just fine, booter detects CD-ROM drive as sr0 on startup. Can select kb, partition disk, activate swap, activate and mount root. Problem is only with mounting CD.

Details:

(1) When I begin "Install kernel and packages" step, the installer asks me where I want to install from. "CD-ROM" is the first choice, but according to the install guide the installer shouldn't even prompt me for a choice if the CD-ROM drive is available, so this means there's a problem, yes? Anyway, I select CD-ROM, and then it says that the mount failed. I've tried ejecting and re-inserting, waiting until the "insert Debian CD" prompt to insert, etc.--nothing works.

(2) If I go back and select "partition a hard disk," only sda shows up. The CD drive doesn't show up in the disk list. (I know a CD can't be partitioned, but the installer says something to the effect of, "CD drives may be mistakenly identified as writable in this list," so I figure maybe the CD drive is suppoed to show up in the list?)

(3) During boot, the CD-ROM drive is created/identified as sr0, not scd0.

(4) When I press command-F2 to get to a new console and cd to my /dev directory, and then do an ls, the only sr or scd devices listed are:

sr2
sr3
scd2
scd3

Aside from seeming rather bizarre (are these supposed to refer to partitions, or to 2nd and 3rd SCSI busses?!?), neither sr0 nor scd0 is present. I suppose that's the problem, but I don't know if it's the cause or just a symptom. And I have no idea how to fix it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. As you can probably tell, I'm a Linux newbie, but I know my way around the command line a little bit, and I'm willing to try any reasonable measure to make this work.

TIA...

Best,
Matt