Re: Debian on a Mac Quadra 700

On 23-Oct-2002 Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:26:17PM +0100, Jim Hague wrote:
>> I'm attempting to turn a comprehensively redundant Quadra 700 into something
>> useful.
>>
>> The beast has 20Mb RAM, and an external 1Gb 'd2' (that's what it says on the
>> front) disc in addition to the internal 40Mb drive.
>>
>> I've made a root and a swap partition on the external disc.
>>
>> Installing Woody via Penguin 1.9 is not going well, though. Frequently the
>> boot
>> gets stuck at video initialisation, showing the b/w penguin and
>> 'ABCDEFGHIJ'.
>> Other times it boots properly and installation begins, only to run into the
>> sand in a variety of ways, often involving one of several kernel panics
>> (dereferencing NULL pointer, Freeing swap cache etc.) Otherwise files are
>> reported as corrupt after downloading, or it just freezes up.
>>
>> I see the Quadra 700 is on the hardware list as working fine. MacOS doesn't
>> seem to have any trouble working properly.
>
> These are the same problems I have run into with my Quadra 650 with
> external hard drive install. It's basically unusable. I hope someone
> has a clue. I was thinking maybe it was my memory wasn't up to speed
> or that Linux is not happy with the external drive.

Greger Olson pointed me at the linux-mac68k mailing list. In the archives I
found a note from Tim Starr suggesting that booting with MacOS extensions off
was a good idea.

For me, it was a damm fine idea. My Quadra is now stable, happily installed and
churning its way slowly through an apt-get.

--
Jim Hague - jim.hague@insignia.com (Work), jim@bear-cave.org.uk (Play)
Never trust a computer you can't lift.