Re: Debian on a Mac Quadra 700

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:26:17PM +0100, Jim Hague wrote:
> I'm attempting to turn a comprehensively redundant Quadra 700 into something
> useful.
>
> The beast has 20Mb RAM, and an external 1Gb 'd2' (that's what it says on the
> front) disc in addition to the internal 40Mb drive.
>
> I've made a root and a swap partition on the external disc.
>
> Installing Woody via Penguin 1.9 is not going well, though. Frequently the boot
> gets stuck at video initialisation, showing the b/w penguin and 'ABCDEFGHIJ'.
> Other times it boots properly and installation begins, only to run into the
> sand in a variety of ways, often involving one of several kernel panics
> (dereferencing NULL pointer, Freeing swap cache etc.) Otherwise files are
> reported as corrupt after downloading, or it just freezes up.
>
> I see the Quadra 700 is on the hardware list as working fine. MacOS doesn't
> seem to have any trouble working properly.

These are the same problems I have run into with my Quadra 650 with
external hard drive install. It's basically unusable. I hope someone
has a clue. I was thinking maybe it was my memory wasn't up to speed
or that Linux is not happy with the external drive.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |