Re: GCC 3.2 bootstrap: compare fails

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:22:08AM +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to build gcc 3.2 from sources on Woody/m68k. I took the original
> > sources and diffs (as of 24.09.) from the debian pool directory and
> > manually applied all the patches the debian build system would have
> > applied for m68k. Compilation with
> >
> > make CFLAGS='-O' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2' \
> > 	LIBCXXFLAGS='-g -O2 -fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap
>
> are you sure you want to use this CFLAGS?
Hmmm, it's what the docs tell me to do if I want to save some disc space.
And it worked at least in 3.0.4. However, I'll try plain make bootstrap.

> > as found in the build instructions work fine but comparison of stages 2
> > and 3 fails.
> >
> > I didn't try the binutils from the pool (yet), but vanilla 2.13. Can I go
> > on and just restart make without the bootstrap target or could I run into
> > more serious problems.
>
> looks like pretty serious. Binutils 2.13 may be producing wrong code
> with gcc-3.2, this was fixed only very recently.
>
> gcc-3.2 works very good for me with another set of patches, no idea
> what kind of patches are in the debian-gcc-3.2.
>
> There is also a problem that some binutils used to produce code that
> is sometimes (actually very rarely) incompatible with the dynamic loader
> in glibc, not sure if this is already fixed in debian.
>
> I have attached some patches in case you want to play with it. The gcc
> patch has also the effect to change cpu target default to 68020-60.
OK, I'll give them a try. To summarize, I could use vanilla gcc 3.2 with a
recent snapshot of binutils and your patches?

Thanx a lot...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)241 413 260
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)241 413 2640