Re: Simple m68k on 660av question

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 07:20:18PM -0700, Matthew Variot wrote:
> So... what is the device/driver name so I can start checking to
> make sure I can use ifconfig, route, etc to configure the box
> to talk with the rest of my boxes at home?

The chipset in the AV Macs is called MACE, and the driver is
macmace, but it's not available as a module, so if you kernel
supports it, the driver will already be loaded. It will show
up as the net device "eth0", assuming that you don't have any
other ethernet devices installed that might get setup first.

> The ifconfig man page seems to indicate that eth0 is the 'first'
> ethernet device -- however this is not in /dev.  If this
> is correct how to I go about asking the OS to configure/load
> the driver so ifconfig (etc) can configure it.

Net devices don't show up in /dev. As I understand it, the
configuration utilities like ifconfig actually send their
requests into the network drivers through the socket layer,
rather than the char/block device layers.

If a net device driver is compiled into the kernel, it will
be setup and have a device name allocated at startup. Look
through the output of dmesg for more info. Here's some
samples from various machines:

[This one is a cheap PC with a 3c590 PCI ethernet card]

3c59x.c 18Feb01 Donald Becker and others http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c590 Vortex 10Mbps at 0xe400,  00:a0:24:96:1b:6e, IRQ 9
  8K byte-wide RAM 1:1 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.

[This one is a Sun SparcStation 20 using the builtin ethernet]

sunlance.c:v1.12 11/Mar/99 Miguel de Icaza (miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx)
eth0: LANCE 08:00:20:7b:60:b7
eth0: using auto-carrier-detection.

If I'm reading the code correctly, the message from the macmace
driver should look like this:

eth0: 68K MACE, hardware address 00:00:00:00:00:00

Of course it would have the correct hardware address instead of
having all zero bytes. If you don't see this message during the
boot output (view with dmesg if you missed it scrolling), then
your kernel probably doesn't support your hardware, and you'll
need to find or build one that does.

If you were using an ethernet device that had a driver as a
module, you could use modprobe to load the driver
(i.e.: modprobe macmace) or setup your module config in
/etc/modules.conf to know which driver was which interface
and have the module loaded whenever it is needed
(alias eth0 macmace).

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com