X resolution on mac

Hi,

I've recently installed debian on my mac quadra 800.

All works swimmingly, except that I can't persuade the X resolution to go
higher than 640x480.

I have my monitor section set to the multisync options.  I have  an 800x600
Modeline, and it doesn't flash up the screen that I'm not allowed this when
X starts (some of the higher resolutions in the file yield messages like
'12500x6532 needs VSync of 456' or somesuch.

However, when I get into X, I'm in 640x480, and Ctrl-Alt-+ won't give me
any other possibilities.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian