Re: I gave my Debian Mac a split personality...

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:05:48PM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:

> I interpreted this to mean that I was using kernel
> 2.2.20.  However, looking around, I see that in /boot
> the kernel is labelled:  vmlinuz-2.2.10.  Is also
> accompanied by "System.map-2.2.10", "config-2.2.10".
> The kernel modules are in a directory called "2.2.10"
> in /lib/modules"

You can have many kernel-images installed, if they have different version
numbers. vmlinux-2.2.10 in /boot does not say anything on a mac, since this
file is never used for booting. What counts, on a mac, is the kernel on your
mac partition. The other files are just for debugging and have no influence
on what kernel is run or not run. Now the modules are a different story, if
you do not have a /lib/modules/2.2.20 directory and uname -a tells you that
you are running a 2.2.20 kernel, you should not be able to load any modules.
Do you have modules loaded? Try lsmod.
Anyhow, to clean things up, you want to install kernel-image-2.2.20-mac, as
already suggested earlier. _And_ copy /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20 to your mac
partition after you installed the kernel-image. You can remove the 2.2.10
kernel-image then if you want to save some space.

> O.K. I know this is all my fault, but everything seems
> to function.  Just wanted to know what's going on
> before I do another re-install.

Why do you want to reinstall? You do not have to reinstall, if you want to
use a new kernel... you don't have to reinstall, if you want additional
software, or remove some software.

Christian