root lock-out

Hello all,

My keyboard is a little "dodgy" sometimes and this morning it played up as I was attempting to log in to my
computer once it started up. I tried three times with what I know is the correct username and password for
root (yes, I know you're not supposed to log in as root as a usual thing...) and on the last one it locked me
out (maximum number (3) of tries exceeded). Yikes!! What do I do now??

I can log in as a standard user, but it seems that root access has now been disabled. Any suggestions as to
how to fix this? One thing that I could try (?) is to go back into the set-up program and put in a new set of
passwords etc, but if there is a quicker way to sort it out, I would prefer this. I am using potato 2.2.20 on
a mac IIci.

Feeling suitably humble,

Nick.

Dr. N.R. Helps
Medical Research Council Protein Phosphorylation Unit
School of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB Complex
University of Dundee
Dundee