Re: ethernet support in 2.2.20-20011202 kernel

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 05:23, Nicholas Helps wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have been "tinkering" with debian on my old IIci (120MB HD, 20 MB RAM, farallon ethernet card) and I
> >have
> >> gotten to the stage that it boots fine and I can mount the mac hfs partition and an external zip on the
> >scsi
> >> bus. All fine and good.
> >>
> >> However, I don't seem to be able to get ethernet up and running. I put in all the settings for a "local"
> >> network during the installation. If I do "ifconfig", I now see what I think is indicative of functional
> >eth0
> >> (ie it gives the IP address, lots of other stuff and is "up"). However, if I ping the computer from my
> >win95
> >> laptop (connected via a 10baseT crossover cable), I get no response (all packets lost). Likewise in the
> >other
> >> direction.
> >>
> >This indicates that the kernel does actually see your ethernet card.
> >What kernel version are you using.  Some of the earlier 2.2.x series
> >kernels actually used the wrong address to try to drive some of the 8390
> >based cards.  Run dmesg and look for the line indicating the mac8390.c
> >driver was loaded.  What is the version number of the mac8390 driver?
> >The latest version is 0.4 2001-05-15  This version fixed some problems.
>

> I powered up debian last night and ran dmesg as you suggested. Very interesting. The mac8390.c driver is
> "v0.1 1999-10-18 David Huggins-Daines". Hence, way earlier than the 0.4 2001-05-15 version.
>
> I also saw that there are two lines for eth0 in the list. They go something like:
>
> eth0 failed to detect memery resource for slot D probing...
> eth0 found ethernet slot D (type farallon)
>
> I also notice when I run ifconfig that the hardware address of the card is displayed. Hence, the driver
> certainly "sees" the card. However, it sounds like the newer driver should be used. This means (I'm afraid)
> more questions.
>
> How/where do I get it?
> How do I get it into the kernel? (I suspect the answer to this might be kernel recompiling - something I read
> a bit about, but did not think I would have to do...)
>
> I thought that the kernel I had downloaded (details in subject line of email) was the latest one available of
> the 2.2.x series (it was at the top of the list).
>
> Any help greatly appreciated as ever,
>
> Nick.

It appears you're not running the kernel version you think you are.  From a shell prompt after booting type the following:

cat /proc/version

If you are indeed running the kernel mentioned in the Subject it should respond as follows:

Linux version 2.2.20 (rayk@q950.knightsmanor.net) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #2 Sun Dec 2 22:19:20 EST 2001

If it does not then you have'nt set the Penguin up properly to boot this kernel version.  The kernel you wish to boot in the Penguin must reside on your HFS volume visible under MacOS.   Mac sure you have the 2.2.20 kernel selected before booting.

Ray